St Lawrence Church
About St Lawrence Church
St Lawrence Church is one of the oldest in North Kent. Although little is known of its exact origins, part of the present building dates back to the 10th century, when the church was originally a small rectangular building made of stone quarried out of the hill on which it stands. It was linked to the church at Leigh, and served as a chapel for people living in the hamlet of Bidborough.
In the 12th century the church was extended, and the chancel and north aisle were added. As church life in England prospered, communities valued having a priest among them, and in 1218 the people of Bidborough asked the Bishop if they could have their own Rector, and he assented. The names of all the incumbents of St Lawrence, from the start of the 13th century to the start of the 21st century, are recorded in the church.
Spatial Dimensions was commissioned by Dye Tabrett Architects on behalf of St Lawrence Church DCC to provide a full measured survey of the church including plans, sections, external and internal elevations and a topographical survey including trees and boundaries, graves and tombstones.
The project was to adapt the existing Victorian south porch on the church and extend to the east to create a level access entrance area, a small lobby, and WC. This included altering and re-laying footpaths. Internally, works are to reorder the south aisle and pews in the bell tower area.
Client: Dye Tabrett Architects & St Lawrence Church
Services: Measured building survey, laser scan survey, topographical survey, 360° Panoramic Imaging
Deliverables: Point cloud, CAD, TruView